SAVE THE DATE: On March 22, Clearspring Middle School is looking forward to an evening of sharing our learning. All of our students are creating portfolios to showcase some of their learning this term, and we are inviting ALL parents to join us. Students will share their portfolios with their parents, and teachers will be available for short conversations about their child’s learning.
How does it work?
- ALL students will share their portfolio with a caring adult. If parents are unavailable, students are welcome to invite other significant adults in their life. In rare cases, families may be unable to attend on March 22. In those cases, we will seek to make alternative arrangements.
- Families will be invited to call the school to offer preferred times for their conversations. For every classroom, we will aim to schedule 4 students, with their parents, into each 20 minute time slot.
Why are we doing portfolio learning? Educational research has shown that students who track their learning in a portfolio, who reflect on their learning, and who talk about their learning develop a more positive mindset about their work in school.
Most importantly, portfolio assessments provide an authentic way of demonstrating skills and accomplishments. They encourage a real world experience that demands organization, decision making, and metacognition. Used in a thoughtful, carefully planned way, portfolio assessment can foster a positive outlook on learning and achievement. http://www.education.com/reference/article/portfolio-assessment/
- Call the school to schedule a time for you and your child(ren) to review their portfolio. Twenty minute appointments will be available from 4:15 and end at 6:40 (to 7:00).
- Talk to your child(ren) about how they are developing their portfolios. Your genuine interest in a specific aspect of school (portfolio) raises your child’s interest and commitment to the task.
- The phones are open from 8:30 – 4:30 every day. Please call early to ensure you get a time that fits your schedule. 204-346-9650